Re: external hard drives

Howard LEIGH writes:

Sounds a serious issue. Perhaps the best way forward will be to buy bare
drives and install them into a suitable case. I upgraded my old macbook last
summer and stuck a 500 GB drive in it. The old 160 GB drive has made a
splendid little portable unit!

That has been what I personally have been doing since the days of parallel externals - buying cheap cases and bare drives to go in them. My last few were teeny ZIF interface HDD's and a small 2.5" SATA and all the cases were ebay chinese cheapies. I might have felt like a cheapskate when I saw other peoples name-branded slick cases, but I feel a whole lot better now knowing what is inside those things!

Interestingly I've seen a drop off in people willing to pay me to recover their data, which is probably why I haven't encountered this drive style before. The last job was an architect who needed some plans off a couple of encrypted floppies that none of his floppy drives could read (superdrive to the rescue! - suck on that Iomega Zip..) and a few photographers with wiped or formatted cards. In all though, even though I charge FAR less than the big data recovery firms, of late, people still seem happier to accept their data as gone than put their hand in their pocket to get it back. I guess it's part of the 'ease of use' mentality .. easy come, easy gone.

Years back they looked at the $300 they spent on the 4Gb hard drive and figured data recovery was worth it, now a $100 1 Tb hard drive goes belly up, they weigh the cost of recovery against a new drive and just seem to figure it's not worth the cost. Even businesses - they lose their data they just seem to shrug and tell their customers they had a data failure. And people seem to forgive this (as many more people have experienced this so they're more understanding). I've even had a few people who when I've told them I'll check their drive for free, determine the problem and discuss their recovery options have said things along the line of 'eh, can't be bothered, I'll just get a new drive next time I'm at the store'.

I guess ther data is seen ephemeral and the drive is where they perceive the value lies.

Either way, this was really just a heads up to PF members that some of the new drives out there are built with this new style of interface and they're a *lot* less salvageable in the event of a problem than other more standard drives.

I'm waiting to hear back from this customer as to whether he's prepared to pay the $80 for a sacrificial drive to let me examine the failed drive. We'll see..