Re: external hard drives

I lost an award ceremony 5 years ago when I was in Austria at a regatta. Card wouldn't mount.

PhotoRescue to the rescue.  $35, download, recover files, etc.

Either people contact you and then find out they can do it themselves, or they've got backups and are willing to abandon the few items not backed up, or they are just throwing everything, unedited, onto their externals and realize most of it is such junk they're better off without.

More recently, however, I lost my entire external master file backup to a corrupted drive directory. I keep my master image files on a 2T drive which is always attached.

The maker of the drive suggested I use a recovery service - $500. The maker would replace the drive on warranty. I had the files backed up on DVDs both on site and remotely, at a friend's house. It was a toss up between shelling out for a restoration or spending 3 or 4 days rebuilding the data on the replacement drive.

I returned the drive to the maker and bought a Glyph drive and rebuilt the files. My time is worth less than the recovery service.

The maker sent a replacement drive which turned out to be my drive - fixed by them. I wish they'd told me what the problem was. They left no hint.

Glyph is a drive assembler which only uses Seagates. They're big in the video and music recording industry and have an extremely widely-held positive reputation for assembling drives that don't fail. Their 3-year warranty includes data recovery!

The drive with the directory corruption was from OtherWorld Computing - the most respected purveyor among Mac users. They are also an assembler but they use whichever brand of drive they feel is the best of what's available when they assemble. So one case might contain a Seagate while another might contain a Western Dig.

Both the drives have a wide variety of ports - FW800, eSATA, FW400, USB 2. I use them with FW800 and piggy back other drives on them, especially my dedicated Time Machine drive which automatically backs up my computer HD every 60 minutes following a complicated algorithm developed by Apple to sort through the drive data and only replace that which has changed during each interval.

I can't see the Cloud becoming useful until I have much faster upload times. DSL is way too slow for a shoot in which I have over 6G of keepers. And then there are the security, and power problems with the concept.
--
Emily L. Ferguson
mailto:elf@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx