Re: external hard drives

On Thu, October 13, 2011 23:44, Jim Thyer wrote:

> I have been using a SATA HDD Docking station recently.  The HDD just drops
> into it.  Latest has USB3 interface so is faster.

I'm rather fond of those; I've got a two-drive one that has USB2 and eSATA
(it's a couple of years old, so no USB3).  If/when necessary, I can go to
double-disk backup sets (at an increased risk of data loss of course; but
it lets me double the size of my data before I have to alter my basic
scheme).

> Advantage is 1 docking station can serve many HDDs.  So only buy the
> connection once.  If the docking unit fails then just drop the HDD into
> another.  Not so expensive.

Yes.

I also bought a set of plastic carrying containers for the drives I use
for backups (I swap the latest for the off-site one in my desk drawer at
work).  They provide at least a little impact protection and some water
protection and dust protection, and were cheap (under $10).
Dragaera: http://dragaera.info