Re: Everybody Is A Photographer

I think this back and forth discussion actually revolves around something no one has specified. Namely, how does a manufacturer choose between between profits and customer loyalty?

Bringing out new/improved versions (so customers have to buy to keep up) brings revenue. Keeping backwards compatibility reduces revenue somewhat but maintains customer loyalty so they'll buy future updates.

But what if the manufacturer decides to build a truck instead of a little two-seater? (Read: Apple II to Mac) And the truck is both spiffy and powerful. Should there be backward compatibility here too?

The manufacturer is always making choices like these; customers have to put up with it and make their own choices. It's a rare and heartening find when a manufacturer actually works for the benefit of its customers. It all depends on the business plan.

Maybe too simple, but not far wrong.

  -yoram