Re: Everybody Is A Photographer

----- Original Message ----- From: <mark@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> To: "List for Photo/Imaging Educators - Professionals - Students" <photoforum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Tuesday, September 27, 2011 1:37 PM
Subject: RE: Everybody Is A Photographer

Well I looked at a new laptop last weekend. The mac airbook was about a grand, but a windows machine could be had for about $500. Granted the apple used flash memory rather than a hard drive which would be a big plus at times, but with only 64 gigs of storage (at least I think thats what it was) thats not ideal. Didnt look to see if it had a USB port for external drives. Still Apple has always been inovative, but its also always been higher.

SSHD's aren't all they cracked up to be, they often use more power than conventional hard drives and I dread to think what the cost for data recovery would be for a corrupted SSHD. At least with platter style magnetics, the disks can be pulled and popped in to working drives for such things. The upside is they're robust. My thinkpads have motion sensors that park and lock the disk in the event that they tumble from a table or some such, and toughbooks encase their drives in a silicone cradle.

As to laptops viewd as 'IBM clones' or 'MS' machines (even though apple use mostly the same hardware and come out of the same factory) you'll find cheapies from $400 to the high end lapops costing many, many thousands.

Speaking of hardware - kinda odd that MS has everyone going antitrust over them having a browser in their OS, yet the Fruit Company can sell their machines and force people to use their OS.. no ibm clone buyer need run windows if they choose not to.

Again, I prefer toucscreen laptops and am kinda fond of the wacom tablet built into one of my Fujitsu tablets.. even though it may be a bit old now, it's fast enough and hasn't skipped a beat.

(still waiting for the day menuetOS can be installed to a HDD instead of having the whole operating system run off a floppy ;)