Re: PF members exhibit on 05-28-11

On 05/28/2011 08:41 AM, ADavidhazy wrote:
> The PhotoForum members' gallery/exhibit space was updated MAY 28, 2011. Authors with work now on display at: http://people.rit.edu/andpph/gallery.html include:
>
>             Jim Thyer - Hobart Waterfront

Very good. The black and white conversion works very well. The wide
angle makes the lake horizon tilted, which I'm not fond of, but I think
if you straightened that, the piece sticking up in the back of the near
boat would also be tilted, which I wouldn't like, either.

>             Ken Frazier - Harriet

A nice portrait. Her expression makes this a bit more, though. Intense,
with a bit of trepidation? That white tablecloth on the left is rather
distracting, though, and she could be just a bit more to the left.
Possibly a crop of the entire left table would help.

>             Mario Filipe Pires - White clouds over red lady

Well, the title tells me the lady is red, though I don't see much of it.
 You've cooked the color pretty hard, and added vignetting and a glass
plate border. The picture has a southwestern feel to it for me. But
everything's centered, and there isn't much to look at. It's certainly
one heck of a colorful sky, though.

>             Emily L. Ferguson - Naiad navigating the channel

I like the scene, but you could use some of the previous picture's
cooking (certainly not as much though). A brighter picture, with more
contrast in the sky, would make this more dramatic, instead of just a
nice picture of a boat.

>             Lea Murphy - Rachel kicks

Lots of energy, sharp where it should be, not sharp where it shouldn't
be. Some movement in the ball, concentration on her face, a nice pose
with her arms, and she's coming into the frame.  The background isn't
much to look at, but it is a soccer pitch, after all. Nice job.

>             Trevor Cunningham - waiting for a cause

Hah! Well seen. I think a pink peapod would have been hard to come by,
but the infrared comes pretty close. In black and white, it looks like
it could have been pink. Nicely lit. It's a bit off center and a little
high in the frame, but I haven't fully convinced myself that that's a
problem. The position certainly makes it look alone in the dark.

>             John Palcewski - Horseman, pass by!

I don't understand the title, unless it refers to a general asking the
troops to parade for inspection, but that's ok. The fill flash works
pretty well here, though I wish I could see a bit more of the rider's
face. Maybe you could dodge it a little. A good dramatic angle; the
horse's neck looks almost impossibly long.

Andrew

--
http://andrewsharpe.com