RE: Need Much Help - thanks anyway! Sherie

Password Alert! This message may contain a request for your password. NEVER SEND OR RESPOND TO E-MAIL REQUESTS FOR YOUR PASSWORD. For questions about this alert, please contact the ITS HelpDesk at 585-475-4357 (v), 585-475-2810 (tty), or helpdesk@xxxxxxxx

What is the red alert for?

Chris

From: owner-photoforum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:owner-photoforum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Christopher Strevens
Sent: 09 March 2011 10:11 AM
To: List for Photo/Imaging Educators - Professionals - Students
Subject: RE: Need Much Help - thanks anyway! Sherie

Password Alert! This message may contain a request for your password. NEVER SEND OR RESPOND TO E-MAIL REQUESTS FOR YOUR PASSWORD. For questions about this alert, please contact the ITS HelpDesk at 585-475-4357 (v), 585-475-2810 (tty), or helpdesk@xxxxxxxx

If you can still see, open and edit these files, then what have you got to worry about? The problem is probably in the 255 byte header to the image file.

You may be able to get this fixed by opening the file in another editing utility and then saving it. I sure you would have tried this. However not all image editing files alter or read this header except the essential information about size and palette.

It might be possible for a professional computer programmer or even a young student in IT training who you could hire to write a utility to alter this information without changing the other data. It is only a text string in ASCI embedded in the first 255 bytes.

I understand the apple computer filing system uses this information to identify the file type in order to select the appropriate utility to open the file and not the file extension which in apple may be anything. I suggest therefore you could ask an apple enthusiast to change the file type.

If you want a less expensive low level programmer I suggest you try India as their rates are better than Europe or the USA.

Do you have a computer GEEK around you could ask?

Chris