Re: pricing prints to sell

Lea,

This happened to me this past week, very similar.

Last year I sold a print at an exhibition that was run by an arts council; very nice prints, mostly. The price was $300 for about 18" x 24" and although I indicated without frame, I was talked into including the frame (it was my first sale; what did I know?).

With that as a starting point, I was asked by a distant friend for the cost of a print she saw on my web site. She would take care of mat and frame herself. So I told her about the other sale, and thinking I'd deduct $100 for the print alone, and that she was a friend, quoted her $125 -- and later worried that I'd probably miss the sale for being too high a price for a friend.

Surprisingly, she offered $200 based on the initial math -- $300 less $100. Relieved, I said I refuse to go that high for her and asked her to compromise. She agreed to come down to $150 and I said ok.

How's that for advice??

But I have to say that I've also been giving prints away -- as tokens and of course as gifts. Maybe they're also investments. And maybe you should look at that possibility.

  -yoram