RE: pricing prints to sell

Hi.

I never was able to sell any of my prints so I have stopped attempting to.

When you sell your selling price will have to cover your direct cost of
making the print and also the indirect cost of the camera and printing
equipment. Another cost is how much the accommodation you use. You also have
to pay for your housing, your car, clothes, family and food, and luxuries
such as TV and holidays. Also another cost is your savings, medical
insurance and pension savings.

The buyer has to consider what the print is worth to him. I suppose if he is
a commercial user who wants to use your print in a publication or
advertisement he can pay a higher price, if it is for any old bloke to hang
on the wall that is another price.

Another factor the buyer looks for is the rarity of the image. Another is
the reputation of the artist.

Then the value of the print is what the buyer and seller agree, known as the
bargain.

There is no absolute price to look up in a book.

I would suggest that to pay your costs, as listed above, one print of about
10 x 8 inches would be anything from $60 to $5000.

However, once you're dead the $10 print could sell for $10,000,000.

I did notice that images of buildings in the area that are no longer present
fetch quite high prices but day to day street scenes have no value at all.

Mind you, if they are friends of yours, I suggest you ask a price that only
covers your direct cost of making the prints.

As I said nobody wants my prints so I recently put a quantity of mounted
prints, once lovingly produced out for the rubbish collection and they
charged $40 to take them away.

I am about to scrap my whole collection of negatives as I have said and the
Gentleman who requested I sent them to him has gone silent so I will
probably scrap them next Wednesday with the trash collection.

Incidentally I have asked that a local photographic dealer put my mother's
old black and white negatives to CD, there were quite a lot, they wanted 50p
a frame for the first 40 then 40 p a frame. The total cost was £100 (GBP)
for the work. They go back to about 1924 so I would like to see what is on
them. I suspect that most of the people in the frames have died. I think my
mother's wedding pictures are there. I do not think the thousands of other
frames that I took are worth preserving. Some important images captured in
1960-1969 were stolen some time ago and things that I took then are
contentious as the people and events portrayed were said never to have
happened. So they are lost forever now. It is possible that the thief,
another photographer, has preserved them.

I recall one sequence of frames on a monochrome film taken in 1969 shows a
spot of light moving across the moon as the lunar module landed on the moon.
I could see it in my rangefinder. I did not think it was valuable at the
time but I took to the RPS but they did not want it so I took it to the
science museum in London and they published it. It has featured in several
books on space travel but the authorities rubbished my photo to say it was
impossible but it is they only one. Some people here say the lunar landing
never took place as the moon is just a light in the sky. So they have tried
to destroy all evidence of the event. I have never received any income from
the image. I suspect the science museum no longer have the image or a copy.
The photograph is proof that the moon landing took place. I took it while
standing just outside my back door using a hand held camera with telephoto
lens. I have been pilloried for it.

I was put on a course of tranquilizers and given electro shock therapy and
pushed out my job at a space research station and false charges were brought
against me.

More recently the same thing happened when I took a picture of a "flying
saucer" in the sky near my home recently. It was published in the local
paper but men came and took the image file from me... I was given injections
of an anti-psychotic and nearly all my money stolen.

The newspaper denies the image ever existed.

It is gone and forgotten forever!

That is how the authorities maintain the status quo.

Chris