Re: flash duration

Herschel,

I'd use a white object against a black background but the approach is valid I think. It is often overlooked that camera shutters make good improvised chronometers. If using a dropping object synchronization of object with a location in space may be a challenge especially if rate is fast. Also make sure shutter is traveling perpendicular to subject motion to not introduce focal plane shutter vs moving image distortion artifacts re: blur length determination.

An oscilloscope and photocell is a good approach as well (and probably the most "professional") but I assumed we were talking about kludged solutions! ;)

On the turntable ... if you can photograph a CD turning at 7200 rpm then a blur measuring 43 degrees will stand for a 1/1000 second exposure time. Measure arc of blur in degrees (use protractor?) and divide by 43,000 degrees per second to get approximate exposure time. Good point about unbalancing the CD ... if taping a white paper strip go across diameter. May want to allow for the size of the mark in arc blur determination. Subtract it from blur to find out more accurately how much the mark moved during the exposure. FP shutter artifacts may introduce some error but you want approximations anyway I presume.

Andy