Re: flash duration

I think that what Alberto suggested re: CD player or such running at 7200 RPM just might work if its cover is black (paint it?) and put a white stripe along radius. It will be running at 120 RPS or close to it (wow that seems real fast!) or about 4300 degrees per second so a 1/1000 second exposure time should leave an arc of about 43 degrees. But I suspect the flash will last longer than that and also that the output of the flash is not constant. It should show a fast rise time and then a longer decay time. Duration is typically expressed as time for 1/2 peak to 1/2 peak so it will be less than the total length of the arc ... you should see a tapering off of the light output along the blur.

It is surprising how long flash durations really are when you give a more realistic estimate of this at 1/10 to 1/10 or so of peak output.

Now what else might make a good measuring stick for this .... falling objects as he suggested also. Chris's suggestion is a bit extreme but interesting. A car going past you at 60 mph carrying the flash and firing it as it passes by a camera with open shutter? Hmmm got to think more about this. ;)

FWIW,
Andy