Re: Kemper Museum revisited

Good grief! I just had a message to the forum rejected because it contained the word "signature". This might not make it either. But, it is just as well since I commented that we were beating a dead mule with the museum thread but I see there is now a new diversion. Party on!
Don

On Fri, 28 Jan 2011 08:07:41 -0700, lookaround360@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
We see things not as they are, but as we are, Einstein

Excellent quote for this thread Herschel!

One has to ask about their own work. Is their anything here for others to feel? Much of the stuff hanging in museums is there for people with specialized knowledge. Lacking that, the viewer is stuck with whatever impression their thoughts will allow. We most often look for some formal quality we are used to. We reflexively go "YUCK!" at things that don't
have that.

AZ

LOOKAROUND - Since 1978
http://www.panoramacamera.us

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: [SPAM] Re: Kemper Museum revisited
From: Herschel Mair <herschel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, January 27, 2011 11:08 pm
To: List for Photo/Imaging Educators - Professionals - Students
<photoforum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

Yoram, Of course you seem right and logical.... can "Bad art" suddenly
become "Good art"?

Only if we personalize it.... "I thought there was nothing there but now I see something that I didn't notice and it's changed my opinion about
its artistic merit"

The question "Is it art?" is so loaded that there can be no answers, but
the question "Do I think it's worth hanging in a public place to be
admired?" is answerable. We may not all have the same answer but
nevertheless we have answers.

The work of Cindy Sherman, staging herself as female stereotypes and
others, is very well repected and in the collections of all the biggest
galleries and museums.

I think the bridesmaid image is worth hanging because, knowing that it is staged forces me to realize that there is something in this seemingly mundane scene that was powerful enough to attract the artist's attention and enduring enough to inspire him to recreate it. An invisible slice
of life. How trivial it looks here... but ask a bridesmaid the day
before the wedding and see if it seems trivial to her.... Many a girl has been found sobbing about how she'll look.... It's a human conundrum.
We pay too much attention to things that are inconsequential, and in
retrospect realize that they are fleeting. Like the ridiculous question
"Is it art"

There are things we glance at, know subconsciously, but never see. The artist points us at those, but often we refuse to look. I didn't see it until I knew it was staged... That information added enlightenment. The
picture is the same but I m not

We see things not as they are, but as we are, Einstein

Herschel