Gallery review

The Photoforum gallery is updated weekly at <http://people.rit.edu/andpph/gallery.html>.

John Retallack -- The expression on George's face is wonderful, and the lighting works out pretty well (all natural I think?). I'm not so happy about the foot cropping -- not that we really need the feet, but it looks sloppy rather than planned. And Tess looks like a real sweetie (the retired racers I've met have all been very fine dogs).

Dan Mitchell -- The Great Clock -- nice angle, and I like the juxtaposition with the statue. Bright side of the clock face is overexposed for my taste. I would have straightened it, I think; or else gone a little the OTHER way.

Howard Leigh -- Brighton Pier -- Clouds were being cooperative that day! Interesting that it first reads as a silhouette, but then when I look closely there's lots of details there. Quite a dramatic composition!

John Palcewski -- Summer's End, Still Green -- Mmmm, backlit leaves. There's an awful lot of noise in the dark areas, though.

Walter Mayes -- Lots of nice things about this, good range of textures and such. I think I agree about clipping the leg; looks accidental, doesn't work too well. For artistic purposes I might edit out some of the background you said you cropped, so as to preserve the leg (though I believe that's right out for many other uses, which may be your primary use for this photo).

David Dyer-Bennet -- Around Lake Calhoun -- This is me. Yes, I'm counting on reading a lot of detail in the dark. There's grass texture and such down there too. This is adjusted for my calibrated monitor, not for hardcopy, so it uses quite a lot of brightness range.

Rand, I haven't done anything to the people's faces; and I'm not really happy with the way the man's rendered either. There's actually a lot of pedestrian and bicycle traffic on the three paths in the picture, and this was the best composition I could get with the traffic in various places (in the time I spent). It doesn't look like the people should be outside the focus zone, and 1/500 sec should have been good enough to stop their motion (they're walking holding hands, not running), so I'm not sure what the problem is. We're getting quite sharp detail in that lit tree-trunk at very close to the same distance. (I could, obviously, blame the camera; not ready to resort to that yet though.) Zoom was at 7.4mm (actual), which is not even all the way to the wide end (if I'm reading the photo right this camera has a 5.1 - 12.8 mm zoom on it). And thanks for the comments!

Christopher Strevens -- Dunnington Castle -- It's interesting comparing your modern photo to the old etchings and such that turned when I searched for info on the castle. And I don't think it's one I've been to (I try to go to castles when I'm in the neighborhood, since we don't have them at home). Your border works out fairly well, and doesn't strike me as nearly as artificial as the stock ones often do.

Trevor Cunningham -- frangipani with death stain -- I love getting direct light and back light on the same leaf, completely honestly, in one shot. It illuminates, so to speak, the structure of the leaf in many interesting ways.

Thanks to everybody participating in the gallery this week! (And apologies for sending my contribution to the list rather than directly to Andy! Glad it got sorted out.)

Dragaera: http://dragaera.info