Re: PF exhibit on Sep 25, 10

Rand

    The photo, as taken, encompassed more of the surrounding area around the frog. There were some very distracting elements in the original, especially behind the frog so I cropped the photo. Maybe too much. I attempted getting closer to the frog to eliminate the distractions but he/she did not take kindly to me invading his/her space and immediately disappeared under water. Typical of most wild creatures.
    As to camera settings it was taken on aperture priority at f5.6 and 1/50 shutter. The Photo was taken where I live in Central Pa. As far as, "What kind of frog is it?" We have two choices. Either a Bullfrog or a Green Frog. Because of size, color variations of both species and location, my conclusion is that this is a Green Frog as that is the most likely species to be at this location. I have seen Green Frogs here before but never a Bullfrog. But I wouldn't bet the farm on my conclusion. Mother Nature is noted for occasionally putting creatures in places they don't normally inhabit.
    Thank you for your comments. And to this group in general. As an amateur and never having had any formal training in photography, I practically never post and never comment on the work of others. I don't feel I am qualified to judge the work of others. There are certain areas of photography, paintings and other art forms that I do not like but that doesn't mean that others feel the same way I do. In fact people have paid "big bucks" for things I would not give a second look. :-)

Cheers
Walter Mayes

Subject: Re: PF exhibit on Sep 25, 10

Walter Mayes -
http://people.rit.edu/andpph/gallery/mayes.html

For me this is a near miss. I love detail, and the frog has got it: a glisten to the leathery skin, sharp focus on the eyes, toes that stand out individually. The stone also has detail and a glisten. The water is visible in front and behind.

But I like completeness. For me, the missing part of the frog leg on the right of the photo makes the frog look incomplete, and creates a feeling of wanting just a bit more.

Speaking of wanting a bit more (and my love of detail), I really wish I knew what kind of frog this was, and where it was photographed. The aperture setting would also be an interesting point. The photo stands well alone, but the presentation of exotic-looking animals is enhanced for me by these kind of details.