reply: PF member's exhibit 08-28-10

Of the comments from the Forum and elsewhere about my Shadow Abstract photograph, Chris' comments are the most interesting and provocative.

To me, they raise the question of what, exactly, is a photograph -- even a photo, say, of a chair. Clearly the photo "of a chair" is not a chair, but it's one representation of a chair. So, without getting into mumbo jumbo, the photo already is an abstraction. (Let's not delve into terminology like "chairness" -- ugh!) Already, the contacts of nerves (and whatever else) is testing patterns, configurations, and associations, presumably mostly in the brain but who knows where else? The result is what we understand to be an image of a chair. In some cultures, however (I think I'm remembering correctly), the photo would not be recognizable as a chair; that is, the association between the physical chair and the photo would have to be learned.

Then, what we call "abstraction" in art is really further abstraction. And as Chris says "abstract" was alway "of" something so it was not really abstract. In my photo, the ironwork (there are no stairs but I don't know what the structure is) itself is the reality, the shadow thrown on the building is already one level of abstraction, and my isolating the iron work and the shadow from the rest of the photograph is yet another level.

Now I have to admit that all the above was actually played out in my mind because Chris put music -- quite correctly -- into the same arena for examination. And although the medium is different, I can find analogies (music is an active concern of mine) between music and photography/painting/etc. Really powerful ideas, but tomorrow is another day. . .

There are different forms for both music and abstract art; some forms are meant to be imitations of reality, and some forms depend on relationships within the piece of work. Both sometimes refer to standard modes and sometimes actively disobey the rules of those modes. There is no disgrace or apology necessary for having a different conception of any art; it especially helps artists when different perceptions of there art come into light.

In brief :)
  -yoram