RE: PF member's exhibit 08-28-10

The PhotoForum members' gallery/exhibit space was updated AUG 28, 2010.
Authors
with work now on display at: http://people.rit.edu/andpph/gallery.html
include:

               Elson T. Elizaga - Molt
               Yoram Gelman - Shadow Abstract II
               Dan Mitchell - Monkey orchid
               Trevor Cunningham - cactus miniature
               Lea Murphy - Joshua, four and a half years old, face studies
               Andrew Sharpe - Papua New Guinea totem
               Christopher Strevens - Lonely
               John Palcewski - Look, But Don't Touch
               Mark Harris - Felicia at the Desk
               Michael Hughes - The first taste

[Chris]
I particularly liked this week's gallery. The first four, show no human
understanding, the first is a nasty insect image which I used to like but I
now find dry and sad as they failed to climb the evolutionary tree to become
technological animals like us, such creatures may have done so elsewhere in
the Universe. I thought at first that it was an image of death but then I
realised it was a stage in the insects life. I believe these stages are
called "instars" and that was one step on the way to the imago. The Shadow
Abstract could be stairs, I recall that for a long time I did not understand
"abstract" photography as it was always "of" something so it is not
abstract. I never really understood abstract art either but I think I am
getting the handle now. It is sort of the "essence" of a thing without being
a thing or just lines and splodges. I had the same problem with music as it
is not the sound of anything real but it is a real sound. Now I just enjoy
it. Music has no meaning for me as abstract art has no meaning for me. I try
to make the image into something, the submission by Gelman looks like
stairs. Although "Monkey Orchid" is a technically good image, it is of no
interest to me, I used to take flowers but I was very lonely at the time and
there was nothing else to take or so it seemed. Then I found there were
other things to take. The same applies to the technically good "Cactus
Miniature" image. I think of the prickles I got when I fell on a cactus once
and a girl I was with got the spines all over her body and I recall the
pleasure I found in taking them out.

The rest of the images show human understanding and illustrate aspects of
human life. I find human life of interest to me now having got one of my own
at the moment. The Totem image suggests the sadness of death or the dead
crying to the living. My image that shows a man walking in a London street
who was probably not lonely but going to his work place or for dinner down
by the riverside but it struck me that he was the only person in the street.
The images of the four years old show his joy of being alive and his
expressions are open and happy. I wish I was four again, but I dread what
his life will bring as he grows up to global warming, food shortages, fuel
starvation, terrible weather patterns and over population. Well when she
became aware of the man next too her leering at her feet she will probably
get up and walk hurriedly away. I once witnessed at attack on a lady which
started when the lady hurriedly left. And that is not the only attack that I
have photographed and that has been used in evidence to convict a man of sex
offences. Look out for the lawyers that what I would say to John in Italy. I
think that type of image over here may be illegal as the two are being used
as models and could sue. I have had loads of problems with street
photography. The image "First Taste" is a lovely image and again I recall
people being prosecuted in the UK of taking photographs of their own
children because of the possibility that paedophiles would get hold of the
images. To me it is a lovely and totally innocent image of a child supping a
drink and savouring the flavour - lovely. I do not like the image of Felicia
as she looks suspicious of the photographer and this sort of image is sexual
in nature and shows the exploitation of women. There is nothing wrong with
sex but photographs of it a traditionally distasteful. This is a cultural
thing peculiar in Britain, I think.

Christopher Strevens ARPS.