8" CMOS sensor from Canon

"Did you ever think that you'd see a CMOS sensor measuring 202 x 205 mm? That's 7.95 x 8.07 inches to our fine imperial friends. Its impressive size -- about 40 times larger than Canon's largest commercial CMOS sensor -- translates to staggering light-gathering capabilities, capturing images in one one-hundredth the amount of light required by a professional DSLR. Better yet, the sensor is matched by new circuitry allowing for video capture at 60fps in just 0.3 lux of illumination (think full moon on a clear night). Unfortunately, the press release is more concerned with promoting Canon's engineering prowessthan with product launch. Nevertheless, we're impressed."

just a little something for the LF shooters to drool over

though I suspect the silver film V sensor/storage costs issue will keep LF shooters ramaining with their feet firmly in the film camp ;)

Karl