Re: Corelating in Camera Pixel Count (RAW format) and file size?

On Fri, May 14, 2010 03:55, karl shah-jenner wrote:
> James:
>

> some interesting thoughts of your own there Jim!
>
>> I don't print any of my own images anymore either. Most go online only
>> and
>> any
>> prints for framing is done at a lab. I tired of dried up ink print
>> heads,
>> expensive ink carts, and new printer upgrades. I have a cheap inkjet
>> colour
>> printer that comes out once a year for New Years card and that's the
>> only
>> time
>> it's used.
>

> I was wondering this the other day.. how many of us have or still use
> inkjet
> printers at home?

I have one.  I don't use it enough.  (Small, and doesn't do B&W well; it's
an Epson R800.)

> I used a really nice Canon 8x10 printer for a long time, then bought the
> i9950 canon A3 printer, a bulk ink system and..
>
> .. lot interest in it
>
> The few digital images I print these days are done on RA4 from digital,
> the
> film images are all RA4
>
> and I confess, with a rather nice black and white darkroom, I still find
> it
> so much quicker and easier to develop and print there than from a PC

Darkroom time, as I recall (and I haven't had one since 1985), involves
half an hour of setup and more than an hour of finishing (wash, lay out to
dry, clean up).  One of the real beauties of digital, for me, is that I
can spend 10 minutes working on an image if I have the 10 minutes.

> many others here abandoned their inkjets, or are they still in use, heavy,
> light or otherwise?

I've been looking at a bigger one; but I don't really know what I'd do
with the prints.  But bigger prints look really nice, and are all the rage
these days.

Dragaera: http://dragaera.info