Re: Corelating in Camera Pixel Count (RAW format) and file size?

On Fri, 14 May 2010 14:30:44 +0800, karl shah-jenner <shahjen@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
wrote/replied to:

>Me, I shoot jpegs purely because I don't like spending time in image
>programs.  I'd rather be shooting and doing minor batched gross image
>adjustments than tinkering with curves and the like.
>
>I can see a very good reason to be shooting RAW under some circumstances,
>but I treat it just as I would when I bought film - do I need E6 or
>negative, what are my intentions, what do I want the final image to look
>like?
>
>it' rare I switch to RAW, but it's something I do quickly and almost without
>thinking when confronted with certain scenes that will need HDR adjustments

Some very interesting thoughts there Karl, thanks.

I feel much the same way, mostly I like the simple workflow. When I get home I
put the JPGs in a folder named by date. I delete the crap and perhaps put a few
into Photoshop to resize and tweak a bit. I can easily view all those JPGs in
explorer or my pic viewer. No need of keeping separate RAW folders, 'developing'
them all, etc. They're finished in camera, shot 'right' at the start. The
highlight warning on the preview LCD tells me when I've gone too far on exposure
and I shoot another if necessary.

Frankly these days I'm busy with business. Photography is a part of it, but a
small part and there's way to many other things to be doing instead of
'developing' RAW images. I mean, it doesn't cost anything to shoot a bunch,
reshoot, shoot some more, delete the crap later.

Now when I get some nice birds in my sights I'll switch to RAW for sure and take
the time to 'develop' them to the max.

As I mentioned the 40D gives me the tools to easily shoot perfect exposures and
focused images. I just love how quick and easy it is to shoot perfect images
now, move the focus spot, change the ISO, etc. And I have the ability to shoot
RAW when needed.

I don't print any of my own images anymore either. Most go online only and any
prints for framing is done at a lab. I tired of dried up ink print heads,
expensive ink carts, and new printer upgrades. I have a cheap inkjet colour
printer that comes out once a year for New Years card and that's the only time
it's used.

Times and technology have changed and my 'photo stream' has too. I put some
images online, send some to friends and family, and show them on my widescreen
monitor.

--
Jim Davis, Owner, Eastern Beaver Company:
http://easternbeaver.com/ - Motorcycle Electrics