Re: Corelating in Camera Pixel Count (RAW format) and file size?

On Thu, 13 May 2010 11:14:47 +0800, karl shah-jenner <shahjen@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
wrote/replied to:

>Kosas writes:
>
>Kostas Papakotas  hi all!
>
>this I noticed soem time ago in my Pentax K10D.....
>
>took a scene in 10MB and 6MB.....pxel count was
>
>10Mp - Raw - 12359 KB
>06Mp - Raw - 11479 KB
>10Mp - JPG -  3069 KB
>06Mp - JPG -  1707 KB

My 40d JPGs range from 2 MB to over 6MB
It's RAW files are about 7.8 MB.

The camera is also a 10 megapixel camera.

Your RAW files seem rather large, but if it's consistant it's normal, hey what
can you do, that's the size they are :-)

I'm shooting mostly in JPG now because it is easier for me to control the image
with this camera when shooting. And of course most of this shooting is stuff I
can take my time and take as many shots as I want - scenics etc. Plus, I'm
getting lazy and processing RAW files isn't my idea of fun just for snapshots.

I've actually started shooting to the size I want, instead of always shooting as
large as possible and downsizing in Photoshop. Sure I have to change the camera
setting but I don't need to open Photoshop or do anything to the image.

I must say that I'm loving the 40d very much. I've even ordered an EFs17-85 IS
lens for it. Love the low noise, the autofocus, and the speed. I haven't been
'birding' with it yet but hope to soon.

--
Jim Davis, Owner, Eastern Beaver Company:
http://easternbeaver.com/ - Motorcycle Electrics