Re: Fuji IR camera (S5 Pro?)

Herschel.

I have not done any crime scene or other "gory" type IR photography.

To "wow" the police I'd concentrate on document examination by photographing writing made
with various inks and paints and pigments, etc. Try forging a check
using two different types of black-to-the-eye inks but where one is
IR transparent and the other IR opaque. Not sure that this means or
what the application might be but back clothing sometimes reflects IR
very well and instead of reproducing as dark it appears very light in tone.

BTW, the pinkish image you get really should be reduced to monochrome
(usually) since IR is not a "color" per se.

I don't know the S5 so can't comment on its operation but basically it is
as you say. Infrared is often ascribed magical imaging properties but
often it is not much more useful than visible. On the other hand sometimes
one gets a surprise. BTW, use fluorescent (instead of tungsten) lights to
illuminate a subject such as US paper money and find interesting stuff
as a result of infrared "luminescence" - fluorescence have very little IR
in them so if a part of the subject makes IR (fluorescence) then that
will be visible with the camera while quite invisible to the eye.

http://people.rit.edu/andpph/text-infrared-luminescence.html

&00 - 1000 nm is about right I think for wavelength "spread" And to comment
on your question "Is it as simple as it seems?" - the answer is yes. What
the IR record means though is not so easy!

Eyes and brain hurt so got to stop now. Good luck!

Andy

Herschel Mair wrote:

I have been given a fuji S5 Pro IR camera with filter by the local agents and they want me to explain how it works to the local police. When I do research on the net, I come up with varying versions of Andy's writings on the subject (He's everywhere!)

What I need to know is "Is it as simple as it seems?"

I point it in the direction of the subject, I can't see through the IR filter of course. I set the camera to "P". I press the button and I get a pinkish, strange image of the subject. I'm amazed I can shoot in low light at 125 through that filter! Tenacious stuff this infra red. So? I guess I need forensic evidence (Blood? forgeries?) to shoot so I can see what there is to analyze?

Any suggestions for what I could use as subject matter to impress the pole leese? Other than cadavers or such sordid stuff?

What range does infra red photography capture? 780nm to 1000nm? I'm guessing....
Herschel