Re: Fuji IR camera (S5 Pro?)

Herschel Mair

I have been given a fuji S5 Pro IR camera with filter by the local
agents and they want me to explain how it works to the local police.

When I do research on the net, I come up with varying versions of
Andy's writings on the subject (He's everywhere!)

What I need to know is "Is it as simple as it seems?"

I point it in the direction of the subject, I can't see through the IR
filter of course. I set the camera to "P". I press the button and I get
a pinkish, strange image of the subject.
I'm amazed I can shoot in low light at 125 through that filter!
Tenacious stuff this infra red.

So? I guess I need forensic evidence (Blood? forgeries?) to shoot so I
can see what there is to analyze?

Any suggestions for what I could use as subject matter to impress the
pole leese? Other than cadavers or such sordid stuff?

Bruises!  Actually, even just veins, with the explanation of how bruising
and subcutaneous bleeding is revealed, as well as the extent, by IR
pictures.  It also works nicely on dark skinned folks where bruising may
not be as visible to the naked eye.

Forgeries - use different inks of the same natural light colour and
demonstate how that works (you could also do some at the UV end of the
spectrum too)

those are  the first things that come to mind at 4am <yawns>

What range does infra red photography capture? 780nm to 1000nm? I'm
guessing....

it depends on the sensor, this suggests 750-1000nm
http://www.policeone.com/police-products/investigation/articles/1781116-Product-Review-FujiFilm-FinePix-IS-Pro-DSLR/

actually there's a few other ideas for pics here too ;)

karl

 /heads back to bed