in-camera tricolor on film

David Dyer-Bennet & anyone interested in RGB photos:

I found a fascinating link on the Russian photographer Prokudin-Gorsky - www.utoronto.ca/tolstoy/colorportrait.htm

It contains a photo he took of Leo Tolstoy as well as other RGB photos and much info on how he accomplished such amazing photos so early. Elsewhere I learned that Dr. Adolf Miethe worked with a cabinet maker, Wilhelm Bermpohl, to build what Prokudin-Gorsky copied and called his "large camera." Later he also used a smaller camera that had partially silvered mirrors and RGB filters to take all three photos in one exposure. I also learned that in 1901 Dr. Adolf Miethe used Ethyle Red to sensitize orthochromatic film to red light thus making panchromatic film and making separation RGB negatives possible, so Prokudin-Gorsky probably used that technique and this is why his RGB separation negative look so good. Dr. Adolf Miethe also invented flash powder. I am somewhat amazed that it took Americans so long to develop our own version of panchromatic film as the motion picture industry was powdering faces white long after 1901. (Then again considering that over half of America thinks Global Warming is not occurring or not man made and Erik Prince, head of Blackwater, is leading together with his former boss, General McCrystal, what he calls a "crusade" in Afghanistan and Pakistan ...)

Prokudin-Gorsky claims he could shoot the large camera that had the "cassette" at the rear (which undoubtedly performed the RGB exposures) in 3 seconds! When the weather did not cooperate his exposure lengthened to 6 seconds. On ISO 320 with 29-61-47B tricolor set my exposures are around 1/25 at f-16. Film must have been in the ISO 10 to 20 range in the early 1900s so just the three RGB exposures must have consumed a good bit of 3 seconds and that RGB back must have been a marvel of innovation. I would love to know the details of that glass plate "cassette." With a view camera it takes me about 2 minutes to shoot 3 RGB negs and even with the Hasselblad it takes almost a minute. What amazingly clever fellows and skillful craftsmen those early experimenters in photography were. As an engineer who worked several decades in digital imaging it amazes me to imagine that in the very early 1900s there were photographers creating color images of higher color quality than any of the latest digital sensors available to us today.

Ed Scott