Re: New to forum - interested in in-camera tricolor on film

James,

Thanks for the reply. I thought of using a very fine wire across the corners and also of using a very fine fiber optic and LEDs to put dots in the corner. So far, with the images I have tried, it is easy enough to register them. There is always several edges to use. My problem has been more like dimensional stability but caused by not having film flat in the scan. So I am hoping oil mounting the scans to get them flat will help solve it. Whether flatness in the exposure is an issue I cannot say yet. My hunch from results so far with sheet film is it may not be that big a problem. The related issue is angular displacement between two separation negs. Doing the scans as a strip of three separation negatives on roll film ought to assure little angular displacement but I won't know until the mounting fluid I orders arrives out here in Taos. There used to be pin registered camera backs where you pre-punched sheet film but I have not been able to find one. Aligning in linear displacement (X & Y) is pretty easy in Photoshop but at least my old Photoshop 7 makes angular displacement an issue.

I imagine most people on this list have seen the Russian tricolor exhibit at the Smithsonian website. http://www.loc.gov/exhibits/empire/making.html http://www.loc.gov/exhibits/empire/

These photos seem so remarkable. When we do get to see early photos they are always in B&W. To see photo journalistic photos shot between 1905 and 1915 in color is quite unusual. I wish I knew how his camera worked. It appears that the back had to do with shooting the tricolor exposures. And judging by the large number of well registered people shots it must have allowed the three separations to be shot in rapid succession. What further baffles me is that I thought only orthochromatic film was available back then. In the movies they were powdering faces white to get lighter complexions in B&W movies yet here he is shooting tricolor separations that have lifelike skin tones in color so he must have had a good red neg. Be sure to scroll down to the bottom two images and zoom them up to see what incredible color his separation negatives were capable of. Talk about Kodachrome color! If you compare the spectral curves for modern digital sensors to what is possible with either the 25-58-47B or sharper cutting 29-61-47B tricolor sets it is easy to see color separation is about as good as it gets doing in-camera RGB separations and that the modern way has huge overlaps in color and thus color purity in comparison.

It is because he shot these on B&W film as tricolor separation negatives that we can view them today. Any other form of color film would have faded away by now. And we will have to wait and see how many digital images do survive. Sony recommends re-recording or refreshing disc media every 50 years. Since I built my first microcomputer in 1978 I have had 5 1/4" hard sectored floppies, 8" floppies, IBM 5 1/4" soft sectored floppies, 3 inch rigid floppies, Iomega discs, CDs, DVDs and now something like BluRay will be taking over for storing images I guess. I'd be hard pressed to recover images from most of those digital storage formats now, so that film does not look like such an archaic choice if archival access and precise color are significant issues. I have heard that historians worry that we will have far better visual records of the 1800s and 1900s than we will the 2000s because digital is replacing film and access archivability is approaching an instant just as shot access has become instantaneous with digital cameras. Collectors worry about print lifetimes but for photographers and artists it is the original media that ought to be archival.

Ed Scott

James Schenken wrote:
Ed:
Never did Tri-color in camera myself but it seems that the registration
problem may be related to movement of some kind between shots.

So.. if it within your capabilities to make a glass insert to place very
close to the film plane ( easier in the 4x5 ) that has index marks engraved
in the corners similar to ones that NASA used on the Moon landing
photography, this might make it possible within Photoshop to both adjust the
positioning of the image and to tweak the sizes so that the overlay is
better aligned with respect to position and size.

The black lines of the indexing marks would have to be spotted out in the
Photoshop process but that should be relatively easy.

Best of luck on this difficult project.
Cheers,
James