Re: UV/Haze filter

Gregory wrote:
I'm the exact opposite. I never carry a UV on any lenses, just extra glass my sharpness is required to pass through. I keep my lenses hoods on at all times instead. I have yet to lose a lenses from blowing out the glass. I have also never lost any threads from using metal hoods, dented but functional is my norm. I have lost plenty of those plastic hoods.

I've done both at various times with various lenses (though, looking back, I see a pattern that my more expensive lenses are the ones I DON'T put a filter on). Haven't lost a lens or hood or even the threads to a fall in any case.

My friends are amazed at how badly I treat my equipment. Anyone out there put plastic baggies on the feet of your tripod before use? I have a friend who does.

Not a baggy guy in that context, no.

I seem to handle my cameras somewhat gently, given how long they last and how few dents they have, but I don't feel it interferes with my getting pictures.

Hmmm; what are the craziest things people have done with their cameras? Only the first one of mine impresses even ME very much; I'm not a huge risk-taker.

I set my D700 on its back on the ground, pointed up at the muzzle of a mortar less than two feet away, knowing that in addition to the gunpowder and the projectile there were two baggies of gasoline in the barrel to "enhance" the muzzle blast; I had to clean a thin layer of gasoline off the front of the lens after that one. The picture was spectacular.

I've lowered cameras off a bridge by the tripod, to take shots from close to water level. As I remember it, the pictures weren't in the end very interesting.

Dragaera: http://dragaera.info