Re: densitometers

Andy:

: I'd say in the build it yourself scheme ... avoid 110 or 220 like the
: plague - you can get an unpleasant shock! . Use high intensity LEDs if
: at all possible. These can be run from batteries. I don't know about
: their output vs. drop in voltage but they consume little power and
: should provide a fairly steady output. You can get them at Radio Shack.
: You can also get a CdS photocell there.

agree with Andy 100%, mains powered is unnecessary (so maybe my link was a
bad choice!)

You could cobble this together cheaply, easily and with greater safety
using 1 9V battery .

A voltage regulator circuit stabilizes the voltage so the power consumption
is fixed and then the light output will remain to all intents and
purposes - constant.

let's see..  (heads to US radioshack website)  whoah!  hmm.. Radio shack
prices are as ridiculous there as they are in Australia I see, but pushing
on..

bits needed:
http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2062599
1x 7805 voltage regulator IC

http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3060980
1x 5mm white LED 25mA 3.3V

http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2062590
1x CDs photoresistor  (not used in this part of the circuit)

http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2062314
1x 68 ohm (dropping) resistor

http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2102510
1x 100µF 35V Electrolytic Capacitor

http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2062365
0.1µF Ceramic Disc Capacitor

this is your light source circuit, nice and safe and very stable :)

       switch           ___      68 ohm r
        \              |   |
+9VDC--  \-------------| A |------/\/\--
           |           |___|    |      |
           |             |      |     _|_
           |             |      |     \ / LED
          _|_            |     _|_   __V__
 100uF    ---            |     ---     |
           |             | 0.1uF|      |
           |             |      |      |

A= 7805 voltage regulator

hope this helps

: BTW, the calibrated Stouffer wedge may be expensive. I have not checked
: price myself though.

you could always ask around any of the local graphic degign places and see
if they have one lying about - also remember that densitometers need to be
calibrated each time they're used, though you'll find an LED model to be a
lot more stable than an incandescent light source model

karl