Re: Working on your "eye"

Rich,

Pictures should have many layers of interest.  Formal qualities are but
one. The gallery PF critiques are too often reductionist, "crop-osis"
efforts to mold the image into something suitable for commercial
photography. Commercial photography has to be explicit. Anything
off-message is eliminated. I'm not saying commercial work doesn't
require great skill and an intelligent eye.  That also goes for popular
tastes in decorative "boutique" work that many people, I have to say too
many people, strive for. Regarding editing for a gallery show or art
book - the editor is very important to the finished work. Ideally the
collaboration should extend all the way back to the lab.

AZ

LOOKAROUND - Since 1978
Build a 120/35mm Lookaround!
The Lookaround E-Book 5ed.