RE: Working on your "eye"

I'm about to do a workshop on getting outside the box using the "45 minutes shooting whatever in a very small space" exercise.

It's a great example of Mary Oliver's "standing still learning to be astonished".

The goal is to get the brain to focus. The human brain isn't designed to jump immediately into seeing what's in front of us. It's designed to constantly be monitoring everything around us, looking for trouble. So we have to give ourselves time to stop looking for trouble and start seeing details.

As for getting the items we see into pleasing arrangments, that's where you turn to your personal taste and hope somewhere, someone else in the world shares it. You can study what others have decided is pleasing, and it's very useful to do so. You might discover that you share their taste.

And if you discover that you don't you might be able to figure out what you actively find unsatisfactory. From there you can maybe move on to what you find satisfactory and you're in luck for a while, until some other tiresome influence comes and messes up what you thought you had down, or until you get bored.

And yes, there are plenty of people who like to make rules. Check with your local portrait/wedding/camera club shooters for them.
--
Emily L. Ferguson
mailto:elf@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx