Re: Working on your "eye"

David Dyer-Bennet

: So how does one work on one's "eye", by which I think I mean one's
: instinctive grasp of composition?  Or for that matter, how does one
: improve one's sense of composition at any level?  I'm reasonably sure
: that's the weakest point in my photography, and at least one commenter
: this week seems to agree.

firstly, many photographers are dissatisfied with their own work, it seems
so mundane compared to other photos, much as people often feel bored with
where they live and aspire to be somewhere different ;)

otherwise, try using one eye at the viewfinder to compose, then switch eyes
to see if the image still looks as good.  Fact: Different parts of our
brain do different things, and the mathematical eye might see the elements
you want included, the other part seen with the other eye might balance the
image in a more attractive way :)