Re: Working on your "eye"

I think composition is mostly about movement. In two-dimensional work like photography it's about movement of the eyes of the viewer, a sort of simulated motion.

I'd submit that why your photo of the iron and flame doesn't work compositionally is that it doesn't make the viewer's eyes move around the frame. There's nowhere to go but back and forth across the center. In other words, it's rather one dimensional. See http://img.skitch.com/20090912-fs294t8y94pkcqi21f3hnph22d.jpg

The best compositions lead the eye around the frame. Movement is simulated (or stimulated?) by lines, shapes and their relative position, also by relationships in scale--one big thing (object, negative space, etc) can balance out two or more smaller things.

To add another dimension to your iron and flame photo you might have had the face of the smith leaning into the frame, yielding a triangular composition something like this: http://img.skitch.com/20090912-dfdsra968ukgrhfr2iehs8hqh4.jpg A slightly looser cropping (slightly wider lens, maybe) with the elements not being so close to the edge of the frame might also have helped.

Then there's the matter of distracting elements which don't add to the composition. In this example there's a blurry bright object in the background below the hands and iron, and the irons in the lower left which are out of focus and don't really add enough in terms of composition--another reason I think a looser framing would have been nice.

To answer your question as to how one improves the instinctive feel for composition, one way is to consider that we are photographing three dimensional space onto a two dimensional plane. To make a composition most effective we need to find ways to simulate that third dimension--depth. Leading lines, such as more of the irons in your photo used to draw the eye into the picture, are one way. Using objects near and far to convey scale differences is another. And then there's the S-curve and the zig zag. In short, anything that leads the viewer into and around the frame.

Your assignment for this week is to go out and look for leading lines. A path, sidewalk or road receding into the background. Or maybe a fence, wall or row of houses. Something that will pull our eyes from a corner into the frame.

Rich