Subject: Re: The Nature Conservancy's Digital Photography Contest
From: herschel <herschel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, August 12, 2009 7:24 am
To: List for Photo/Imaging Educators - Professionals - Students
<photoforum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

So true and so sad.
although there are values other than money, more important than money.
That isn't the way consumer society is built. Your pictures are worth
what people will pay... as long as you NEED to sell them to eat.

Capitalism prays TO the Capital (As in large wads of money) and preys ON
the consumer.

Insurance is the fear-driven idea that you can pay a small amount of
money to a large company (Making billions in profit) so that you can
have the same rights as wealthy people when there's trouble. God spare us.

When you're camera bag falls off your shoulder into the river -
When you fall off the ladder trying to get a high angle shot - wealthy
people buy new gear, get the best medical care. Consumers risk getting
shafted by insurance companies.

Wealthy people make great photographers. They can take the risks. They
can buy Hasselblads with a slew of lenses. They can shoot on 11x14 and
take a month to be where the images are. They don't have to make daily
bread.

Most people struggle to pay off a decent DSLR and the "Decent" galleries
(Who are selling mostly to wealthy patrons of the arts) are not too
interested in "Those types" of images. So it's internet galleries or
underground galleries and coffee shops.

Selling prints for sub $50
But, ya know what? That's art. It always was. And it's why we have to
work for ourselves. For the values in our hearts. Eating regular meals
has never been the "Way" of art.

the formula for success is as old as the hills.

1. Drink and smoke
2. Assemble a good body of work
3. Drink
4. Bequeath the work to someone who cares
5. Drink and smoke
6. See 5
7. Write letters (Paper and pen please) to friends and lovers.
8. Die in some tragic way

9. Wait 20 years