Re: Free-almost free pictures?

At 06:08 05 08 2009, David Dyer-Bennet wrote:
On Tue, August 4, 2009 13:41, lookaround360@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
I'm thinking I should make my work available "pay what you think it's worth" - Is there a marketing term for that?
In software, that's the classic "shareware" model. (not cripppleware, not demoware :-)).

An alternative may be to create a book of your photographs, and place it on one of the on-line print-on-demand websites
   http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Print_on_demand

Even though some may just download the work, there will likely be others who prefer to purchase a nicely printed and bound version.

As an example of this, refer to Marco Cantù, who has written a series of books on Delphi (a compiler -- a computer program for writing computer programs). Here's a link to some of Marco's comments on the process of print-on-demand (scroll down the page a bit)
   http://www.marcocantu.com/dh2009

Here's another example from the field of programming
   http://www.ibiblio.org/pub/docs/books/eckel/
Bruce Eckel has been releasing his books on the internet for years, receiving corrections and suggestions from readers, and releasing updates. Printed and bound versions are also available in bricks-and-mortar bookshops, with an additional included material on CD.

I'm not able to rediscover the reference, but there was a warning that not all the print-on-demand services are equal. There have been problems with proper registration of the content on the page. A workaround suggested was to leave generous margins, including the gutter for binding. This warning may, however, be due to poor quality control at a particular bricks-and-mortar print works.

--
&i (: