RE: [Fwd: Photography Half-Life (Decay Rate) Changes]

Considering the life of media, photography has only been around for 100
years or so and most of the early prints have gone, I suppose the Derrograph
(SP) is the best survivor (I've also developed another way of making a
silver and gold image on copper), not many silver prints have survived and
platinum prints survive well but the paper base oxidises away and the paper
prints fall to pieces. Plastic base is similar.

The electronic files cannot be seen without a display unit and these become
obsolete very quickly as do file types. The media itself is highly
destructible as it is only plastic which slowly erodes due to the impact of
light. A platinum CD would last longest but is it lightly that if one turned
up in an archaeological dig in 2000 years time no method of reading it would
be known and the discoverer may not know what it was. The amount of material
we are dumping is very high but we efficiently destroy it all before
committing it to landfill sites. We generally do not leave our ancestors
gifts in their graves as we mostly cremate our dead.

I do not see much hope that anything will survive the Horus all our precious
memories will be eaten by him.

Just enjoy life while you have got it as the future will take care of
itself.

Chris
http://www.chrisspages.co.uk