Re: talk me out of it

It isn't a perceived difference going to more pixels. It's real.

I moved up from a 12 mp Canon 5D to a 21.5 mp 5DM2 and the difference is astounding.

I say go for it.

Lea

life is short. photograph it.

On Mar 6, 2009, at 9:44 PM, Herschel <herschel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

You're right Emily, billboards are printed at quite low resolution. I've shot dozens of them (some at 6 MP) and they look great if they're well exposed, in focus and don't have any camera shake. The same old story! :-) Actually the ones shot on 4x5 don't look all that much better

I shot museum banners that hung outside the front of an art gallery - about 40' high and 4' wide and they were cropped out of the middle of images shot on a Canon 10D. If I remember correctly that was 6MP so the image area must have been less that a third of that.

It's much more to do with client perception and needs. and marketing

I don't want my opposition going to my clients and saying "I have something that you can't get from Herschel Mair"

I'll be honest... it's something I'd do if I had any unique selling point like that.

If I bought the D3x I'd immediately start a campaign to tell all the agencies in town (And in Dubai) that I had the latest and biggest resolution equipment there is in 35mm- and that I could produce unrivalled image quality along with flexibility and an ability to capture the significant moment that "Old-Fashioned"  medium format gear could never do.

It's BS but it's business. Let the other guy do the technical explaining why HIS gear is just as good. Art directors don't know from Nyquist-shmyquist sampling-shmampling
rates. They want something to sell to their clients too.

Emily L. Ferguson wrote:
My understand is billboards are printed at 12 dpi.  Has that changed in the last few years.