Re: talk me out of it

I already have the D3 and  my wife, Anna, recently bought the D700 for her wedding/portrait work and it is indeed a great tool. But the D3X allows me to compete (Megapixel-wise) with the other commercial shooter here who's using a 1Ds Mk  III.

The medium format gear I have (Mamiya) is too slow for modern "people" shots. The images just feel to static even though the tonality and sharpness are wonderful and the shallower DOF (Due to bigger CCD) is glorious...

I have a shoot on Sunday for a telecoms company to be used on billboards  (Outdoor campaign)  It's for an ad agency that my opposition does a lot of work for and he's shooting 20+ MP on the Canon.

It's a shot of a man throwing a child up in the air and catching him... NO-way can I shoot this on the Mamiya. I'll have to shoot on the D3 and -quietly- up-scale it to 25 Megapixels... 2% at a time...I think I'm going to pass on the D3x until such time as I actually lose a job because the client says  "Size matters and this is too small"

herschel

mlent@xxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

Why don't you get the D700? It's almost identicle to the D3x in every way but price. This way, you'll be AHEAD of the Jonese because you're smart enough to get the good gear, but at half the price.

Cordially,

Mark Lent