Re: talk me out of it

On Fri, March 6, 2009 08:02, Herschel wrote:

>  I have a shoot on Sunday for a telecoms company to be used on
> billboards  (Outdoor campaign)  It's for an ad agency that my
> opposition does a lot of work for and he's shooting 20+ MP on the Canon.

Does the 20+ MP actually matter?  I've seen billboard material close up;
it looks like it's something around 8DPI.  Which means your 12MP produces
something like a 30 foot image.  (I don't know this area of business much
at all, so the billboard material I've seen may be anomalous.)

>  It's a shot of a man throwing a child up in the air and catching him...
> NO-way can I shoot this on the Mamiya. I'll have to shoot on the D3 and
> -quietly- up-scale it to 25 Megapixels... 2% at a time...I think I'm
> going to pass on the D3x until such time as I actually lose a job because
> the client says  "Size matters and this is too small"

Or at least until you get clear push-back, I'd say.  The price will drop
some probably.

Are you worried about the quality of the final result currently, or only
about client perception issues?
Dragaera: http://dragaera.info