Re: Obama Poster

If the original image was registered before the infringement, then there are statutory damages the exceed $100,000 per infringement.
AP wouldn't have to prove actual damages.

In a similar case Rogers v Koons see the Wikipedia article at: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rogers_v._Koons
There is also a link to the 2nd circuit decision.

It's pretty clear here that infringement occurred and that some damages will be awarded.

Cheers,
James