Re: Obama Poster

Not that I don't understand, I just find it interesting: distributing mp3 files of a music album, or .avi files of a season of a particular television series, reflects a loss of sales of a particular product that does have measurable demand (though the demand is significantly exaggerated because of the peer-to-peer  means of exchange). Granted, this was an AP image for which they hold copyright, and their case is strong. However, I hardly see how this reflects a loss of revenue considering people are not buying the original image (even though they are, legally). The only money "lost" is that the artist did not pay for rights to use the image. Wouldn't the AP's suit be reduced to what their usage fee would be? Or would they usually have points on profits as well?

PhotoRoy6@xxxxxxx wrote:
Andy Warhol's  is probable the biggest example of this. But the tide changed when the large Hollywood company's started perceiving the $ they were losing. All of a sudden the person making a few Starwars or Star Trek costumes by hand and selling them were seen as ripping off copyrights. The son of "Scotty" from the original Star Trek Series was stopped from naming his bar
"Beam Me Up Scotty".

Roy