Re: Obama Poster

On Thu, February 26, 2009 12:38, PhotoRoy6@xxxxxxx wrote:

> In a message dated 2/26/2009 12:41:00 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
> dd-b@xxxxxxxx writes:
>
>>Depends what was done to whatever the original image on the way to
>> making
>>the poster.  If you picked a convenient reference shot to  get the face
>>right, it seems likely you'd want to adjust various things  for optimal
>>appearance in the poster still, and anything spatial would  make the
>>overlay not be exact.
>

> If an artist realized he was stealing a photograph he could do some
> alterations in the spatial aspect to hide the theft. However in this case
> he did
> none. He just took the photo and added some color to it and some text.

Deliberately attempting to obfuscate is another level, and that's
perfectly possible too.  But regardless of that, you'd often want to
adjust.  I've found myself making perspective adjustments and such
(basically changing the viewpoint slightly) when turning photos into
graphics.  You often can't find exactly the source photo you want.

When probably a dozen photographers have bunches of nearly identical
images (however many press photographers cycled through that spot in the
press area that day) any one of which would have made an equally good
poster, it seems weird to attach so much of the meaning to the photo and
so little to the work done on it thereafter.
Dragaera: http://dragaera.info