Re: photo storage question

Roy writes:
Karl,
    What do you do to erase all the data completely? Years ago I heard that the (US) CIA wrote over the entire drive three times before throwing them away.  I have a 4.5 gig drive that I can't get at a secret partition on it. Even log formatting it doesn't erase the partition. I believe it is a partition from a JAZ drive disk that I copied on to the 4.5 gig drive. The JAZ drives disk had secret partitions that allocated the extra good sectors hidden on the drive so it would never have any bad sectors in its  guarantee one gig forever

Denis replied:
http://blogs.zdnet.com/storage/?p=129
This blog (above) talks about "wiping" drives, and recommends an application called Boot and Nuke to completely wipe drives.

"There is an open source external block overwrite utility called Boot and Nuke that is free."
http://dban.sourceforge.net/

Follow the first link to read the full write-up.

I'd go with what Denis suggests, unless you're working on an apple, then I'm afraid I'd reccomend connecting it to a PC and following the same suggestion !  After that, fill it with junk and do it again to be as sure as you can

karl