Re: photo storage question

I don't know if the reference to CIA procedures is correct or not.  But, writing over all the sectors on a drive three times will make the data virtually unrecoverable.
If someone wants to spend enough money on the problem, then they still can retrieve most of the original data.

OTH, I know of another government agency that shall remain unnamed that just puts the drives in a furnace and melts them down to slag.  Their data is guaranteed unrecoverable.

If you're looking for a quick and easy ( and permanent ) method, then get your handy drill and make about 4 holes completely through the drive casing, the plate, and out the other side.  That will stop everybody but the extremely well financed snoopers.

Cheers,

James