Re: Question about Scanning

I agree that you cannot, with Epson flat bed scanners, use Digital Ice on B&W negatives. I haven't bothered with Silverfast or Vuescan. The latter did not appear, to my eyes, to give significantly better results compared to Epson's own software. However many people claim Vuescan is outstandingly better!

Howard

Rene Hales wrote:
We, my husband and I, have a new V750 Epson Perfection Pro Scanner and want to scan 35mm and 4 X 5 black and white negatives. It came with Silverfast Ai. I have heard that VueScan is easier? better?. I also think digital ice does not really work well on b&w negatives. My fear is that I have a mix of information and misinformation. Can folks on this list recommend resources for mastering b&w negative scanning? We will use the scans for digital printing and for digital negatives for Pt/Pd printing in the darkroom. We can learn from online information or books or even a workshop if there is such an animal. This is list is such a wealth of information that I am sure you will have some resources to get us started down the right path. Thanks in advance, Rene
Rene Hales
See my photos.
http://www.pbase.com/halesr/galleries