Question about Scanning

Title: Message
We, my husband and I,  have a new V750 Epson Perfection Pro Scanner and want to scan 35mm and 4 X 5 black and white negatives. It came with Silverfast Ai. I have heard that VueScan is easier? better?. I also think digital ice does not really work well on b&w negatives.

My fear is that I have a mix of information and misinformation. Can folks on this list recommend resources for mastering b&w negative scanning? We will use the scans for digital printing and for digital negatives for Pt/Pd printing in the darkroom. We can learn from online information or books or even a workshop if there is such an animal.

This is list is such a wealth of information that I am sure you will have some resources to get us started down the right path.

Thanks in advance,

Rene
Rene Hales
See my photos.