RE: The Circus- Behind the Show

From:  Lea Murphy
 >  In November I went to the circus for the first time since I was a little girl.  It was magical.

You're lucky. I went to the circus for the first time since I was a kid. I took my kids expecting the magic. As I entered the arena I was told by a security person that the lens on my camera was too long and so I was not allowed to take photos. She said the lens can be no longer than her 4 fingers side by side. I resisted the urge to tell her what to do with her four fingers and decided to enjoy the show. The thing I remember most is a tired, beaten down elephant whose skin was peeling off being forced to carry people around on its back for $15 a ride.  They had an awesome poodle but the rest of the animals were poster children for an animal abuse poster.

And while other security staff members patrolled the arena, my new friend stayed right behind me during the entire show.

I thought it was my cynical mind that only saw the sadness but my kids found no magic there either. I will not return to the circus unless I become wealthy and get to see Cirque De Soleil.

Greg