Re: Question about Scanning

If Silverfast is the
> Mercedes  ..then Vuescan is the
> Volkswagen ..Nikon or whatever
> manufacturer's native software is the Chevrolet

funny thing about making such comparisons, manufacturers make things to a price a lot of the time - you want to spend little dollars, well they'll make you a cheap thing.  you want to spend more than ANY of your friends, well they can cater to that need too ;)

 I don't know how many cars, mercs or otherwise that cost anywhere near what a volkswagon owned and made Bugatti Veyron does.. but Merc vans are popular with tradesmen here.

And a student is going to find a VW beetle with it's economy, reliability and price a lot more desirable than *any* merc.  And were I to want to lug bags of cement around, I'd find the merc and the VW useless in comparison to a GM truck (holden ute to fellow aussies)..

There are big names in photography who'll place Nikons software above all else coz it's Nikon.  There are others who've done side by sides and claim Vuescan blows all else out of the arena.  There are some that love Silverfast.  Each to their own.

Me, I've tried and tested all I can lay my hands on and I'm sticking with the one I found to be best, same deal with the Noise Ninja / Neatimage debate.

I'm not fussed nor impressed by the amount of dollars someone else spends, nor am I impressed by a glossy interface - I just want the job done well, fast and with the greatest ease .. but highest priority is I want the job done well.