Re: Quad-core computers

----- Original Message -----
From: "Elson T. Elizaga" <elson@xxxxxxxxxxx>
To: "List for Photo/Imaging Educators - Professionals - Students" <photoforum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Friday, December 05, 2008 12:35 AM
Subject: Quad-core computers

> We are occasionally making large photos for billboard printing. Our
> current computer is an old Pentium 4. Any advice on what dual-core or
> quad-core computer is best for this purpose? I head quad-core consumes
> 500 watts.

the printer RIP should do this task for you, no need to upsize - that's the rips job :)

if you are doing the the actual printing and the print driver 9rip) cannot cope or the printer runs out of memory, a hardware rip is the next step up the ranks.. but an expensive one (!)

You can also go dual, quad (or more) processors - the PC architecture allows for many (!) though you'll be probaby be running linux and the appropriate rip to pull that off

and Em - the new macs are PC's .. (sorry!)  they're using a linux based OS, but they're PC's now - just not windows :)

M's message is quite right too, dual/quad core like dual processors wont get you very far unless the software supports it