Re: film/print scanner question

Steve writes:
For "scanning" a multitude of negatives and prints, it goes considerably
faster using a digital slr and a bellows w/enlarging lens.
<clipped>

I'll strongly second this, adding the suggestion that if you don't want to spend forever clone stamping sudt spots, carefully *clean* your films first and hit them with the antistatic gun - after scanning grab the free tool from polaroid
http://www.polaroid.com/service/software/poladsr/poladsr.html and hit the resulting images with a dose of their 1.5Mb 'Dust and Scratch Removal' program.

no, not as accurate as a second pass through a scanner with IR dust removal (FARE, ICE or ROC), but the algorithms do the same job, identify dust and scratches and pad the area with information from around the offending artifacts.

Heres a Ken Rockwell revew/comparison (to Adobe® Photoshops dust removal tool) where he writes "SUMMARY: This works better than any other software dust filter I've tried, and it's free!  It should be very helpful for people who can't use ICE, which means people scanning traditional silver B/W negatives, Kodachrome or prints.

http://www.kenrockwell.com/tech/photoshop/polaroid-dust-filter.htm

worth a look for anyone doing any digital imaging at all

karl