film/print scanner question

An acquaintance on a non-photo forum is looking to scan a bunch of old family photos.  Here are the questions posed in their own words:

Anyone using a photo/negative scanner they would recommend? I'm looking at getting one specifically to scan old photos and negatives to turn in to digital images.

What works good?

Was actually looking at this one: CanoScan 8800F

The need is to digitize A LOT of pictures & slides.

Along the same lines, I'm trying to figure out how to archive them once they're scanned.

Anyone have experience with the Canon model?  Any other suggestions?

How about the archiving?  Not sure what software they have as I'm typing this but will add that when I get the info.

Thanks,

Rich