Re: film/print scanner question

I suggest getting one with Digital Ice. I've been using a Nikon Coolscan
IV ED since since 2000 and it still works. Digital Ice automatically
removes scratches and tiny dirt during scanning of color negatives and
slides. So, it's a handy tool for old film, though Digital Ice doesn't
work on black-and-white. The scanner also has Restoration of Color
technology (ROC) and another software that softens film grain, though I
rarely use the latter.

Several months ago, my scanner stopped working, but I discovered later
that the malfunction was caused apparently by a virus. When I had my
computer fixed, everything was well again, and I'm today scanning old
films for archiving.

Each frame is scanned for about 5 minutes, longer if you use ROC also.
But you can work on something else -- like using Photoshop or Winword --
while doing the scanning, if your computer has sufficient RAM -- mine
has one gigabyte only. The bigger the better.

Elson

Rich Mason wrote:
An acquaintance on a non-photo forum is looking to scan a bunch of old family photos. Here are the questions posed in their own words:

/
/Anyone using a photo/negative scanner they would recommend? I'm looking at getting one specifically to scan old photos and negatives to turn in to digital images./
/
/
/What works good?
/