Home-made stuff

Some of you asked what the telephoto lens looked like that I made in the
1960's to photograph the freighter coming in to the Rochester harbor. Well,
I found the photos of the thing. It was actually a 360 mm Rochester Optical
Tessar 8x10 lens (maybe aerial?) and to use it on the Leica IIIg I first
built a reflex housing out of cardboard, glue and a mirror and rubber band
to power it up previous to exposure - as shown in this photograph:

http://people.rit.edu/andpph/a-misc/3-views-360mm-telephoto-1A.jpg

The reflex housing also accepted shorter focal length lenses and as I
stated the lens was attached to a sliding, nesting tube attached to the '
housing. When fully collapsed the lens was focused at "infinity" and then on
the non moving cylinder I had drawn in lines that represented the distance
the lens needed to move outward to focus on closer distances but the focus was
proven on the groundglass of the reflex housing (patterned after the Visoflex).

at the same time I ran across a photograph of my first _real good_ enlarger!

http://people.rit.edu/andpph/a-misc/enlarger-home-made-3A.jpg

excuse the contrast on these - my rudimentary film scanner is acting up.
PrimeFilm 1800.

andy